Chris' smart plan of attack, as told to Valleywag:
1. Analyze the strategy, not just the product.Seems to have worked. Thanks to Google and Chris and team, Topix today became the dominant, established player in the local news world. The champ that the contenders need to beat. Shhhhh - don't tell your local newspaper. ;) Nice job Topix.
2. Turn the obituary into an advertisement.
3. Position yourself outside the bullseye.
4. Act quickly to get your story out there and talk to people.
5. Have a sense of humor. At least I'm not at Yahoo.